Saturday 17 January 2015

Magazine title - Nova

The title of a magazine says a lot about it so I took a lot of care when picking mine and made sure to ask opinions of my target audience throughout the process.

As my magazine is about finding new artists I wanted the name of the magazine to reflect this to give people an idea of what its about before they start reading it. For this reason I came up with names such as:
Uncovered
Exposed
Unveiled
Revealed
Into the light
Discovered
Unknown
Noticed
Spotted

After asking some people who would read my magazine their opinions on names I found that the most popular were Exposed and Discovered. However after further thought I decided that Exposed sounds very much like a gossip magazine and Discovered sounds like a nature magazine. From here I decided to find some new names similar to this using a thesaurus. I soon found these names:
Red Hot
Newbies
The Latest
Raw
Beginning
Real
Strike

After talking with my target audience again I found that the name Raw was the favourite however it didn't quite work. I then tried looking at some of these names in different languages. To begin with I tried Latin and I came up with:
Novus (new)
Apertus (uncovered)
Novicius (raw)

I still didn't like any of these names so I tried names I had already thought of in other languages:
Ignotus (unknown in Latin)
Löydetty (discovered in Finnish)
Märkt (noticed in Swedish)
Tantum in lucem (into the light in Latin)
Ruga varma (red hot in Esperanto)
Ictus (strike in Latin)
La lasta (The latest in Esperanto)
Ra (raw in Norwegian)

After looking at these names I decided I still liked the name raw as it sounded good in other languages (Zalias (Croatian), Ra (Norwegian and Raaka (Finish)). I tried it in different languages and while experimenting with it and other names I liked (New, Discovered etc.) I found the title Nova. Nova is Esperanto for the word New. I like this title because it sounds similar to the word new which gives the audience an insight to the magazine and what it writes about. It also makes me think of a Supernova which is a "massive stellar explosion that outshines galaxies". I like this idea as it is saying the artists are very talented which will draw people to read my magazine.

After looking at all these different names I have decided to go with Nova as my magazine name.

No comments:

Post a Comment