Friday 17 April 2015

Evaluation task 1 FINAL

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Evaluation question 1


My magazine uses other magazines such as Billboard as style inspiration as this means I can be more certain of it reaching the right target audience as my magazine and Billboard are both aimed at similar people. I also believe that a magazine will look better if it follows conventions that real media products use. My magazine uses conventions such as a masthead and page layouts to make it look professional. I used a Z layout for the cover of my magazine as this is used on many other magazines so looks professional. I used this as it meant the text and picture did not get in the way of each other so you can clearly see what is on the cover.

I also used cover lines to let customers know the major articles in my magazine. I think this is a good feature to use as it captures the interests of the audience and interests them in the magazine. I used a masthead which is used in most real media products as it tells you the name of the magazine and grabs the attention of the audience. I believe this is a vital part of a magazine as it helps people to identify and raise awareness of the product. My masthead uses Iskoola Pota font as it is similar to font used on other magazines such as ‘Elle’. I wanted my masthead to be bold but I didn’t think it would suit the style of my magazine so I went with a thinner more delicate font.

I used the same font for the cover lines as I wanted to keep my cover simplistic so it doesn’t get too crowded with lots of different fonts however I did use a different font (BIO_HAND_CRE Regular) which I downloaded from Dafont.com for the cover artists name to make it stand out as the main story in the magazine. I also made the cover line text different sizes to show the importance of the story. I used a bold colour for my masthead instead of a bold font to make sure it stands out. The masthead is also spaced out as I want it to go across the whole page but I didn’t want it to obscure the artist on the cover so I made it more spaced out instead. I also added a thick line behind the masthead to draw more attention to it.

The photo I used doesn’t really follow conventions as usually on magazine covers the artist is photographed against a white background or a block colour background in a studio. My magazine uses an outdoor shot for the cover photo as I didn’t want to follow normal conventions. I have used other outdoor pictures for my double page spread to make it more interesting for my audience.

My double page spread follows conventions as it uses a simple layout with one half filled with a picture and the other filled with text as this is a layout used by lots of different magazines such as Q. The font I used on my double page spread also follows conventions as it is simple and easy to read. My draft double page spread used DK Lemon Yellow Sun as the font which is thinner and harder to read. I made sure that in my final media product the font was easier to read (Gadugi Regular) which follows conventions. My contents page uses a similar easy to read font (Century Gothic Bold)

I believe the content of my magazine has aspects similar to the content of Q, Billboard and Top of the Pops however I believe it is most similar to Billboard as Q is aimed more at a male audience and Top of the Pops is aimed at a younger audience. My magazine is aimed at a similar audience to Billboard and uses a similar colour scheme however it also has differences such as the font and the age of the artists featured on the cover. The artists in my magazine are similar as it is likely both my magazine and Billboard would include artists such as Ed Sheeran or Jessie J. My magazine is also similar as it follows a similar layout of having one main picture on the cover with cover lines to tell you what is in the magazine whereas in other magazines such as Top of the Pops will have one main picture and a few smaller pictures on the cover. I felt that the style of my magazine should be simple and eye-catching as this is what my audience will prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment